Saturday 12 April 2014

Let's go Jumping!

Hello!

For frequent readers of my blog, you will know that I very rarely jump pea nowadays! For some reason, I have just fallen out of my previous love for jumping and have ignited a new love for dressage (despite not being very good at it!). When I first bought Pea, nearly 6 years ago, it was with the aim of possibly affiliating show-jumping, however, with his lack of experience and my lack of riding we soon lost a lot of confidence with one another and I fell off many a time. We then focused more on dressage and eventually rarely jumped. So today, I had my dad and niece coming down so persuaded dad to bring the camera and for some reason I decided I really want to give Pea a slightly more decent jump than just the one-off cross pole occasionally done after a schooling session. 

We had a quick warm-up session and then started popping a few fences. They were just kept small as it's been a while and I didn't want to get too carried away and risk losing my confidence again. Also, I'm still not 100% sure if he's fine behind or not. He seemed eager enough jumping and is alright cantering so I don't know if I'm just getting slightly paranoid or what...however, if over the next few weeks he doesn't feel truly right, I'm contemplating getting my vet to look at him when he comes out to do his jabs. Pea's been having the chiro every two months and it has been two months since she last came out, however, he should be going at least 3 months before needing a check-up so I'm tempted to have the vet look to make sure there's not any underlying problems causing him to go off every two months! 

We just stuck to simple cross-poles and a couple of straights, around 70-75cm, just to see how he was as, like I mentioned, I didn't want to do too much and risk him being really stiff and off tomorrow. Unfortunately, Dad really isn't the greatest of photographers so I think I might need to recruit a friend who's more handy with a camera than Dad! My niece also had a little sit on him and helped me sort his stable out as I've unfortunately had to give it up due to needing to save up for a place of my own potentially happening this summer. 

Thanks for reading, 
Laura xx


No comments:

Post a Comment